Thanks for the excellent and very useful question. Many of us would like to know how to periodically maintain and disinfect the water purifiers in hygienic manner.
Any water-purifier with storage tank, be it 1L, 5L or more, it requires periodic cleaning. The recommended way to clean and disinfect the purifier is as below. This is applicable to Eureka Forbes, Zero-B and other popular brands.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Water Purifiers
The method used for disinfection is same as how we disinfect potable water (ie., drinking water), but the dosage used for chlorination is higher for cleaning purpose. Below are the short and crisp steps that you can follow to clean your water purifier every 30 days. I have divided the steps to as many simple steps as possible to keep the procedure simple.
- Switch off the water purifier and unmount the purifier/water-tank.
- Empty all the water by opening the tap. If tilting is possible, you can also empty the residual water from the tank by tilting the purifier. However, tilting is not possible with many permanently fixed purifiers. In that case, use a clean cloth (preferably, washed and dried a day ago or disinfected cloth) to suck and remove the residual water.
- Clean the inner surfaces that generally comes in contact with the water with a clean and dry cloth.
- Switch on the water purifier and let the system operate and let the tank be filled completely.
- Switch off the water purifier once the water tank is full.
- Put a disinfectant tablet in the water tank of the purifier that has full water. You can buy them online or at a medical shop.
- Leave for 30-mins to 1 hour for the tablet to dissolve and disinfect the water along with the inner-surfaces. Throw the water after use.
- CAUTION: Do not drink this water. Detach the water tank or purifier so that kids won't accidentally open the tap and drink, which is very dangerous. Empty the water by opening the tap of the water filter. Do not use this water for any purpose. If someone by chance drinks this concentrated chlorinated water, call medical emergency service (ambulance) immediately.
- Switch on the water purifier. Now you can start using the water purifier. Importantly, do not clean the inner surface again - that will contaminate the inner surfaces.
- The first tank of purified water might smell chlorine, so you might want to discard the first tank of purified water out by opening the tap.
Where can I buy disinfectant tablets in India? Buy this on Amazon.
You can also buy Ef-Chlor 67mg Tablets from any medical shop or any online retail websites. I bought Ef-Chlor 67mg for my 5L water tank of the RO + UV water filter (model: Dr. Aquaguard Magna HD RO + UV). Buy generally double more powerful tablets, since we are always discard the disinfected water. If you buy the disinfectant tablets on line, it can be delivered to your door-steps, to many cities viz., Mumbai, New Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Pune, Nagpur, Vizag and many places in India.